What is Methadone?
Methadone which is also referred to as Dolophine. Gustav Ehrhart and Max Bockmühl. of Germany developed this drug in 1937-1939 as a remedy for pain. It has been enlisted under the World Health Organization’s List of Essential Medicines, which are the list of drugs needed for a safe and effective health system. It is also effective for those persons who have developed a dependency on opioids.
Uses of Methadone:
Methadone has the following uses:
1.For the treatment of opioid dependence, as long-term maintenance therapy or in shorter spans for detoxification without causing withdrawal symptoms.
2.For treating opioid addiction.
3.It is also used as an analgesic in case of chronic pain, in rotation with other opioids.
The generally available forms of Methadone:
You can find Methadone to be available in the market under the trade names Dolophine, Methadose. The available doses include pills of 5mg,10mg or 40 mg that are consumed orally. You can also find its oral solution in the market.
Working of Methadone:
After taking Methadone, it starts acting on the NMDA receptor that plays an important role in modulating the long term excitement and function of the memory. When there is neuropathic pain, it is highly effective. Like other opiods, there are very fewer chances that you will develop tolerance towards this.
Methadone can be purchased from our online pharmaceutical store. We ship the products to our customers living in various nations worldwide.
According to the guidance of the physician, adults can take, 5 mg, 10 mg or 40 mg. You should take it in case of chronic pain only, that too when the other methods of treatments fail to show any impact. Generally, 2.5 mg of the drug is recommended to be taken every 8-12 hours. Even at the recommended dose, addiction may occur, so you should never deviate from the doctor’s advice.
Impact of Methadone overdose:
You can face severe symptoms on taking an overdose of Methadone. This includes symptoms of passing out or difficulty in breathing, slow or shallow breathing, slower heartbeat, and unconsciousness. Immediate medical attention must be sought in such case or you need to call the poison control center.
The side-effects of Methadone:
Here are the side-effects which you may face by taking Methadone:
3.The occurrence of sweating, flushing, warmness of face/neck/throat
4.The occurrence of pain in the chest
5.Chances of entering into the coma
8.Feelings of drowsiness
9.Feelings of uneasiness
11.Chances of occurrence of heart attack (myocardial infarction)
12.The occurrence of an itching sensation and hives
13.Experiencing lightheadedness or fainting
14.Undergoing a state of mental clouding or depression
15.The occurrence of life-threatening respiratory depression can occur during the initial dosage or upon increasing the dose.
17.The occurrence of a nauseatic sensation
18.Experiencing a respiratory/circulatory depression
19.Occurrence of restlessness
20.Occurrence of seizures
21.Experiencing extreme cardiac arrhythmias
22.The occurrence of anticholinergic effects such as dryness of the mouth, palpitation, fast heart rate.
23.Experiencing a slower heart rate
24.The occurrence of cardiac arrest
25.Experiencing urinary retention, and urinating less than usual
26.The occurrence of visual disturbances
29.Chances of occurrence of the respiratory arrest
Following precautions need to be taken while you are under the Methadone medication:
1.Since the drug can cause dizziness, you must avoid any work which requires alertness such as driving a car or running a machinery etc. Also, alcoholic beverages must be avoided.
2.It is necessary to estimate the risk of a patient before prescribing the medicine and examine the patient’s behavior on a regular basis while he is under the medication.
3.The tablet must not be chewed or broken but taken as a whole, to prevent any chances of overdose.
If children are accidentally exposed to even a single dose, it can cause fatal consequences. So keep it away from children.
4.Since using its prolonged use during pregnancy can lead to neonatal opioid withdrawal symptoms, you should try to avoid taking during pregnancy.
5.Tell the doctor if you have an allergy towards the ingredients of Methadone, in order to prevent chances of any severe reactions at later stages while you are under the medication.
6.Inform about your complete medical history you’re the doctor so that he can prescribe the right dosage for you or tell you to avoid it completely depending upon the situation.
7.The opioid abuse, addiction or misuse can lead to overdose and death., so stick to the dosage prescribed by the doctor.
8.Breastfeeding mothers should exercise caution as it is excreted in the breast milk, so there are chances that the baby might develop undesirable symptoms.
9.You should inform the doctor about all the prescription, non-prescription, herbal medication etc which you are taking so that the doctor can tell if there are chances of drug interaction.
Getting Methadone prescription:
Depending on the type and intensity of the pain you are facing as well s your medical history, the doctor may advise Methadone for you. You can also purchase it from our store without a prescription. But it is a safe practice to consult a doctor before starting the intake of this medicine.
Is Methadone a legal drug?
In Australia, Methadone is a controlled S8 drug. In Canada, it is a Schedule I drug. It is an Anlage III in Germany for which special prescription is needed, Class A drug in UK and Schedule II drug in the US. It is always recommended to purchase this drug with a valid medical prescription to make sure that it is not misused or used for any recreational activity that poses a lot of health risks.
What is OxyContin?
OxyContin is a powerful prescription medicine. It is also available in the names such as Percocet and Oxycodone. Since 1916, it has been used for improving the lives of people who suffer from various types of pain. It has a narcotic that helps in the management of pain which is extreme enough to need daily around-the-clock, long-term treatment. The immediate release, controlled release and tamper resistant variants of this medicine are available in the market.
Uses of OxyContin:
This medicine is used to relieve moderate or chronic pain consuming it orally, intranasally through intravenous, intramuscular, or subcutaneous injection. Certain people use it for recreation also.
Oxycontin functioning in the body:
OxyContin acts as a selective full agonist of the MOR or μ-opioid receptor. There affinity of OxyContin for the δ-opioid receptor (DOR) and the κ-opioid receptor (KOR) is low, where it acts as an agonist. When OxyContin gets bound to the MOR, there is a release of G protein-complex that inhibits the release of neurotransmitters by the cell by reducing the amount of cAMP produced, closing calcium channels, and opening potassium channels. There is an activation of the MOR in the midbrain periaqueductal gray (PAG) and rostral ventromedial medulla (RVM), which is caused by the analgesic impact.
Oxycontin is available in our online store for purchase. We ship it worldwide to our customers staying in various locations.
60-80 mg is the optimum dose for opioid-tolerant patients. Such patients should make sure to take a dose of more than 40 mg or a total dose that exceeds 80 mg. At a gap of 12 hours, this has to be taken orally.
For the intolerant persons, the optimum dosage is 10 mg that has to be taken at an interval of 12 hours at the initial stage. Taking higher doses can lead to side-effects.
How to take OxyContin?
You can swallow a single tablet of Oxycontin by keeping it in the mouth. You should avoid pre-soaking it, licking it or wetting it. It must not be crushed, broken, cut or chewed as this will lead to an overdose which can even cause death.
The exact dose is determined by considering different factors such as the rate of pain, addiction, abuse, and misuse. A consistent dose for a small duration is recommended for the medicine to be effective and avoid the negative effects.
Impact of OxyContin Overdose
On missing a dose of Oxycontin, one must avoid taking a double dose if it is already the time for the next dose. You need to call the poison control center immediately if there has been an accidental overdose which is characterized by extreme weakness of the muscles, pinpoint pupils, slow rate of breathing, extreme drowsiness, or chances of entering a coma.
Possible side effects of OxyContin:
Call the doctor immediately if you find the following symptoms:
- The occurrence of low cortisol levels which leads to nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dizziness, tiredness or weakness.
- The occurrence of convulsions.
- Sighing, shallow or noisy breathing pattern.
- Feeling lightheadedness, such as one would pass out.
- The occurrence of confusion, abnormal thoughts, and behavior.
- Experiencing extreme constipation.
- Heart rate becomes slow, with a weak pulse.
- Chances of occurrence of serotonin syndrome that needs medical help. The symptoms include agitation, confusion, fever, sweating, fast heart rate, pain in the chest, the occurrence of short of breath, stiffness in the muscles, and facing trouble while walking, or even fainting.
- Chances of occurrence of an allergic reaction such as hives, swollen lips, face tongue or throat.
- Impact on the fertility of men and women, on using the medicine on a long-term basis.
Need for taking safety measures:
You need to follow these safety measures while taking OxyContin:
- The medicine can pass through breast milk so lactating mothers should not take it. If they start taking it, drowsiness, breathing issues and even death of the nursing baby may occur.
- If you are allergic to Oxycodone, you should avoid this medicine. In such cases, consult the doctor and take alternative medicine.
- If pregnant ladies take this drug the unborn baby can develop serious life-threatening withdrawal symptoms. So it is advisable to avoid this drug during pregnancy.
- OxyContin is habit-forming in nature, so do not take it without a prescription, because death may occur in case of misuse or overuse.
- Using it with alcohol or any other drugs, it causes drowsiness, because of which the breathing can be slowed down, leading to serious side effects.
- Inform all your medical history to the doctor. Some cases of medical history must be informed to the doctor without fail, such as:
- Problems with gallbladder, pancreas, or thyroid.
- An injury in the head, brain tumor, or seizures;
- Liver or kidney disease;
- Problems related to urination.
- Addiction to drug or alcohol, or mental illness;
- A person suffering from severe asthma or breathing issues, blockage in the stomach or intestine should abstain oneself from taking this medicine.
- There are chances of overdose and death of the long-acting extended-release medicine is taken.
- Do not use it for treating pain which is not around-the-clock.
- It should not be given to children below 11 years
Getting an OxyContin prescription:
The intensity of your pain and your medical history can help you in getting Oxycontin prescription from the doctor. You can buy it from our online store without a prescription also but is strongly advised to take it under a physician’s guidance.
Is OxyContin legal?
In Australia, this medicine is a controlled drug. In Canda, it is a Schedule I drug, class A drug in UK and Schedule II drug in the US. Legally this is sold with a prescription only.